Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nasturtium Data for the LOTB Experiment

After a coupel of weeks of hearing about Nasturtiums in various blogs I finally bought a couple packets of seeds - then the next day Fern announces the LOTB Seed Scarification Experiment. Since I had already started growing some figured I can keep track of the data for her (even though I couldn't find the 'Spitfire' variety). So here goes my Nasturtium log:

April 5, 2010 - set 6 Nasturtium seeds to soak overnight in tap water straight from the faucet. 3 'Alaska' and 3 'Tall Single Blend' from Botanical Interests.

April 6, 2010 - Sow each of the 6 seeds in its own paper cup in Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix. Set all six in the bathroom where the temperature is a nearly constant 66F and there is alot of diffused light.

April 11, 2010 - 1 Alaska Nasturtium sprouts (6 days from soaking, 5 days from sowing), the other 5 have not. Moved the sprouted Nasturtium to a south facing window to adjust to the light and heat.

April 12, 2010 - Move the 1 sprouted nasturtium outside with my other seedlings. The other 5 Nasturtiums have still not sprouted.

April 15, 2010 - Alaska nasturtium outside is doing fine. The other 5 still have not sprouted! Considering moving them to the south facing window sill in my workroom...but would that negate the value of my experiment data?

April 20, 2010 - NONE of the other 5 nasturtiums have sprouted!!! 15 days after sowing!!! I have relocated them to the south window in my workroom, perhaps the warmth of sunlight is needed... The Alaska that did sprout is doing well with the other green babies outside.

April 22, 2010 - Another Alaska finally sprouted! The other 4 are still dormant.

April 23, 2010 - Moved the Alaska that sprouted yesterday outside with the other green babies.

April 24, 2010 - The April 11 Alaska is doing great. I moved it into an 8" pot with a couple of radishes and out among my other big green children.

April 25, 2010 - Have a laugh with the Gin Master as she tells me they are called "nast-ERshums" not "na-STURDY-ums" *d'oh*

May 3, 2010 - My hope is renewed! One of the Tall Single nasturtiums has sprouted FINALLY! Moved outdoors to gather sun with my other Green Babies. The second Alaska that sprouted is doing well and its leaves are getting big. The first Alaska in the pot seems to like it's radish neighbors.

May 18, 2010 - Sorry for not updating this bit earlier: about 3 weeks ago the Tall Single that had sprouted kicked the bucket due to a heat wave it couldn't take :(
I added decorative little stones to the first Alaska nasturtium pot to brighten things up.

June 8, 2010 - However, the two Alaska in their pots are doing well. Both sort of stalled in growth for about a month when moved to pots, but are now gaining some height. Returning from a weekend trip I found the Alaska which sprouted April 11 has flowered! Bright yellow with a hint of orange. The stones are helping the soil to retain moisture far better than I expected! I can water every-other day except in the hottest weather (8" pot).

August, 2010 - Tried something different. Used the nail file method to make a soft spot in the seed coat of 3 Alaska and 3 Tall Single nasturtium seeds. NO soaking. Just to piss me off all 6 sprouted immediately and are flourishing of course. Happily one of the Alaska is a neon red, that will help change things up - the two from the spring were both yellow gold.

September 21, 2010 - I started 5 more seeds with the file method of a Night and Day variety. Two have sprouted already. I am sticking with the filing method for all future nasturtiums!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary's Gardening Calendar