Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Possible Tomato Comparison Experiment

I read in Territorial's catalog recently that they are trying a technique new to North America of grafted tomatos plants, like you would graft trees. A delicious tomato variety is grafted onto the roof of a different vigorous and disease-resistant tomato rootstock. One of the coolest things about it is you can purchase a plant with a single graft (one variety) and they also have double grafted with two varieties on one plant! Now that's a space maximizer.

I got a reminder about it in an email update yesterday and I'm serioulsy considering order one or two to try it out. Of course it begs the question - Will one of these really grow better than a normal one I grow from seed? So of course now I need to start some Brandywines from seed so they'll be transplant ready by the time a grafted Brandywine arrives and can be planted near each other to get the same growing conditions and....

Uh oh. I think I'm gonna go a little mad scientist this year...

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great thing. I know that there have been fruit trees that have been grafted this way but nothing else. I will be looking forward to the updates about it.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great thing. I know that there have been fruit trees that have been grafted this way but nothing else. I will be looking forward to the updates about it.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete

Mary's Gardening Calendar