Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dividing my Thyme

Dividing herbs is a task I've had in the back of my mind for a few weeks. It's typically supposed to be done in late fall or early spring so I hear, but my green children are in a healthy condition and I'd like to clone some of them. Actually I'd like to clone anything that doesn't require a lab, purchasing new equipment or cause protestors to hang out in front of my house :)



So there's my first vic.... *ehem* specimen, Lemon Thyme. As you can see its branches were already pretty well separated into two nearly equal portions - less work for me!


So here it is out of its original pot, and the two pots it's going to be divided and planted into.


The dividing was also easy since I did it when the roots had just started to reach the pot walls and wrap around. If it had been root-bound already I probably would have had to dig all over for a proper pruning saw. In this case I used the purty coping saw.



And there ya go, my fresh clones, two plants for the price of one! Thyme seems to have been a good choice, this was done about a week ago and both are doing great, no visible shock. I'll be giving one as a gift in the near future.

If anyones interested in which herbs are good for dividing or rooting cuttings from here's a good post on the topic by The Cheap Vegetable Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary's Gardening Calendar